An Avalanche Story – Hayden Peak, Colorado

Post by blogger | September 14, 2011      

Billy Madsen

Editor’s note: Aspen, Colorado backcountry skiers John Gloor and Billy Madsen set out for Hayden peak with safety as a priority. Then they got avalanched, big, while digging a snow pit. This event happened back in 2004. It’s a good story and we had it buried in our non-blog archives — a good candidate for our encore project, wherein we’re bringing some of those older articles up to be blog posts. Thanks goes again to Madsen and Gloor for sharing, I’m sure they’ve already saved some lives by doing so.

April, 4:00 am: John Gloor and I had planned to climb and backcountry ski the East face of Hunter Mountain, a remote peak near Aspen, Colorado. Our goals were quickly modified. New snow had fallen and continued to fall as we sat and waited for Eric, the third member of our party. At 5:30 am it was still snowing and Eric had obviously missed his alarm. Since we got out of bed at 3:00 am and our lunches were packed, we decided to make a quick trip up Hayden Peak, the most popular ski touring peak near Aspen.

The weather was still shaky, but we laughed and said, “Hey, it’s just Hayden.” We set off into the dark with light snow falling. Crossing Castle Creek on a slippery snow-covered log, in the dark, without getting our feet wet was the first test of the day. With my skis over my shoulder and my headlamp piercing the surface of the cold green water I gingerly moved onto the log. I slowly shuffled my feet until I reached the middle of the stream. Suddenly my foot slipped and my knee slammed into the frozen log. I was instantly standing in knee-deep water and my skis and poles were being swept down stream. I scrambled out of the water and John ran along the bank chasing my equipment.

Hayden Peak deatail for backcountry skiing.

Mount Hayden detail, Stammberger Face center left.

I was frustrated and cold, with water filled boots and wet climbing skins — but I was even more determined to press on. Had I known that in three and half hours I would be buried in an avalanche I would have swallowed my pride, apologized to John, walked back to the car to pour the water out of my boots, and returned home before my family awoke. As it was, I quickly squeezed the water out my socks, collected my skis and poles from the river, rebooted and started backcountry skiing into the dark forest above. (The 2,000 vertical foot approach to Hayden might be described as interesting by some, but most people would simply call it a beating with just enough return on investment to make it worth doing. The route climbs up through tight trees and gullies — tough terrain for headlamp travel, and torture during the ski-out.)

John and I reached timberline by daylight, and stood on the summit about three hours later. The sun continued to play peek-a-boo with the clouds as we stripped our climbing skins, put on dry gloves and jackets and prepared to ski. We jumped on the cornice that overlooks the main Hayden bowl but we couldn’t get the snow to slide more than a few feet. The wind had blown hard the previous day, but the upper summit of Hayden is less than 30 degrees so we were not overly concerned. Ski Hayden rarely slides and wind slab on the summit was nothing we had not seen before so we decided to wait a few minutes for the sun to pop out before we took full advantage of the dry light boot-top powder. I skied first and linked seemingly effortless turns down the face. John waited until I finished my run before he started to backcountry ski, and when he finished his last turn he had a huge grin on his face. He reached out to give me a high five and we stood looking at our tracks for a few minutes with total satisfaction, nodding our heads and laughing.

As much as John and I enjoy backcountry skiing, we are also students of our environment. As many here who read, we are always seeking more knowledge about the surroundings that brings us so much enjoyment. We had been watching the avalanche reports and we knew the North and the Northwest facing exposures were not experiencing the freeze and thaw cycle that is common in late April, but we wanted to see what was happening with the snow. To that end, we decided to traverse over to a pitch called the Stammberger Face. John and I had skied the Stammberger many times, but we did not intend to ski the face on this day. Our intent was to assess the snowpack and see how the northerly exposures were progressing with the spring compaction, then hike the few steps back from the top of the Stammberger to the standard route, and ski down the way we’d climbed up.

For our pit study, we selected a section of snow that was about 30 feet from the top of the Stammberger main pitch. John dug the pit while I spotted him from a safe zone at the top. He made quick work of the hole and after a quick analysis of the snow he yelled up to me, “You want to take a look?” I slid down to the pit, which was about four feet deep. There were two distinct layers at depths of six inches and fourteen inches below the surface. The new snow was about six inches deep and it sat on a crust that failed with eight taps on the shovel. The layer at fourteen inches failed with a light tug on the shovel handle. Below that was about two and half feet of depth hoar or granular snow that looks like sugar but can act like ball bearings.

After completing our tests we realized the snowpack was very weak and that, as we’d guessed, skiing the face was not an option. I took my skis off to climb back up to the ridge and John moved skier’s left where the snow was only about two feet deep. We were less than fifteen meters apart when suddenly the entire face settled, creating an eerie hollow sounding “whoomph” that makes your heart leap to your throat. We’d hardly registered the sound when the snow fractured above us. John began to scrabble, jump and hop to avoid the sliding snow, but two huge blocks of snow rolled over him.

Unfortunately for me, I was standing in chest deep snow and the fracture propagated about 10 feet above me. Like a child being sucked out to sea with the tide I was helplessly pulled down the slope. I sank immediately as if I were in quick sand and dropped into the gut of the avalanche. The avalanche was a climax side so all the snow on the entire face moved at one time, trapping me in a huge 60 mph cloud of snow and air. I was tumbling within the belly of the beast as thoughts of my young children and my wife began to fly through my mind. Snow filled my mouth and I distinctly remember thinking,….is this it…….is this how I’m going to die………..?

The Stammberger averages about 45 degrees, and rises about 800 vertical feet with many rock bands and cliffs. It felt as if I had been pummeled by a huge ocean wave as I was ripped over the cliffs and down the steeps, tossed and turned in every direction and bodily contortion imaginable. Suddenly the turbulence slowed and I could feel myself flying through the air as I few off a cliff surrounded by thousands of pounds of snow. I landed heavily on my left side and instantly felt my left shoulder dislocate. Feebly I tried to swim with the slide to stay near the surface, and forced myself to spit the snow out of my mouth to keep my airway clear. As soon as I would spit, my mouth would again fill with snow forcing me to repeat the process. My dislocated shoulder only allowed me to do a weak dog paddle as I tumbled like ragdoll, but I knew that I had to try to swim. When I felt the slide begin to slow I tried to get my hands in front of my mouth to create an air pocket, but like a fool I had not removed the pole straps from my wrists and now my poles were acting like anchors pulling my hands deeper into the snowpack (WildSnowers, take note!). My goggles were ripped off my face, but my hood and the collar of my jacket created a small air space between my face and the snow as I arched towards the surface when the snow began to slow.

Mount Hayden avalanche on Stammberger Face

Stammberger Face, approximate avalanche fracture follows red line.

When my world came to a stop I was buried in the slide’s concrete embrace, but a strange calmness flowed through me. I did not panic or thrash about burning precious oxygen; I lay peacefully under the snow content that I had a small air space to breath. I did not think about the many avalanche victims that die from asphyxiation when an ice mask slowly forms over the buried victim’s face each time their exhalation freezes to their face. I could breath, but I was trapped. I could barley wiggle my fingertips, and with the pole straps around my wrists, there was no chance of digging myself out.

Above me, at the top of the face, John had somehow ducked under the two large blocks that rolled over him and hung on for dear life. Now he was stuck at the top of the pitch looking down at rocks, cliff bands and a huge cloud of snow in the valley that was quickly settling onto a massive debris pile. The Stammberger Face is a pretty imposing pitch when it is covered with snow, but to negotiate this terrain under these circumstances took a very calm soul. John quickly began descending the pitch but soon found himself skidding on his side across slippery rocks. He slide to a stop on top of a cliff and yelled my name. He did not hear a reply so without hesitation he hucked his carcass off the cliff. Landing forcefully on a rock shelf one ski instantly shot off his foot as slide through broken snow and rocks. He quickly gathered his equipment and began to scan the debris pile for any sign of life. The scene looked tragic as broken trees, rocks and huge piles of snow filled his vision. He pushed aside the thoughts of my wife and my kids and what he would tell them, and he began to look for any sign of me. The deposition pile was so large he knew it would be a tall task to use his transceiver to traverse the mountain of snow to locate me before time expired. John yelled my name into the quite mountain air, “Bill!!!!!!” In the deathly quite of my encapsulated tomb I could hear his call. I yelled back creating a quite and muffled noise, “john……” As John continued to descend the face he found a ski that he hoped was attached to me. He immediately realized it was not my ski so yelled my name again, “Bill!!!!!!!”

When I heard John yelling I immediately thought that he was hurt or buried. I lay there thinking. ‘Okay, I’m not dead, I’m definitely hurt, but I’m breathing. John is alive too because I can hear him yelling so all is not lost. How long would it be before someone comes looking for us?

John yelled again, “BILL!!!!!!!!!!” Again I yelled back, “john……..” At first John thought he had heard his own echo, so he called my name again, BILL!!!!!! I yelled back, “John, are you buried!” John moved in the direction of the noise he thought he’d heard. The tip of my hood had broken the surface of the snow and I could feel John’s edges grip my hood as he threw his skis sideways as he skidded to a stop on top of me. He leaned down and spoke my name softly fearing the worst, “Bill?”

“Get me out of here” I yelled and John ripped his shovel out of his pack and started digging like a man possessed. He promptly removed all the snow that was on top of me but still I could not move. I was so compressed into the snow that John had to remove the snow that surrounded me and some of the snow that was under me before I could actually move.

I gingerly began to move as John helped me to a standing position. I instantly began to shake with shock and mild hypothermia. I turned to look at where I had just come from and the enormity of the situation began to settle in. Seeing the size of the deposition pile and the fact that the avalanche had gone across the flat runout zone in into the trees made me realize how lucky I truly was. If I had hit my head and lost consciousness, or had I been hit by a tree or a rock that was also caught in the avalanche, the situation would be have been much different. I have spent a large portion of my life skiing and snowboarding in the backcountry and this was the largest slide I had ever witnessed — and I’d been in it! If I would have observed this avalanche from a distance, or if I had come across the debris pile on my way up Hayden, it would have been easy to assume that a person could not have survived an encounter with such a slide.

I took a few deep breaths and the reality of getting off the mountain rapidly began to settle in. My shoulder was badly dislocated, my left knee MCL was completely torn and my left ankle felt mangled. My right hip had been contorted and twisted in so many directions that I could not lift my right foot. The thought of skiing 2,000 vertical feet through tight trees was daunting, but the alternatives seemed much worse. Perhaps I could wait for Mountain Rescue to arrive with a sled or wait for an air evacuation? But a wait like that could be dangerous. What if the weather came in, or I had injuries that would worsen later? I was not convinced that I could ski, but John felt otherwise and quickly adjusted the binding on his skis to fit my boots. His plan was to walk, post hole actually, his way off the mountain and down to the river while I skied on his skis. The thought of John walking off Hayden made me feel sick, but I was not in a position to argue. John put me into his skis and I feebly began to work my way through the debris field. Traversing avalanche debris is very difficult when a skier is strong and it was almost impossible with my broken, twisted body. Every move I made sent jolts of pain through my body. I had made it about 50’ feet when I ran into one of my skis. When I looked back to yell to John that I had found one of my skis, I saw the tip of my other ski about 20 feet from where I had been buried. John scrambled over the debris to the ski and calmly said, “Hey, things are looking up!”

I could feel John’s spirit lift as he put me into my skis. John knew that walking off Hayden in snow that was quickly warming under the spring sun would be miserable and dangerous. At least we were both on skis and John could go ahead and find the easiest path down. Regrettably there is no really easy path off the mountain, but we did our best to keep moving. The only position that did not send jolts of pain through my body was to bend over and hang my dislocated shoulder below me. The inside of my left knee was very unstable and the outside of my left ankle could not bear weight, but somehow I managed to stand on the leg and establish a feeble snowplow position. My right hip had absolutely no strength so kick turns or quick movements were not among the tools I could utilize. My right knee and ankle were in good shape, relatively speaking, so I was dependant on these two joints to get me off the mountain. I used one of John’s poles as a crutch and a break to help control my speed, but this was a difficult task indeed. The thought of picking up too much speed and crashing kept me on my feet. However, there were many times that I thought that a fall might somehow force my shoulder back into the socket. The pain was immense and my legs were unstable but I had to keep moving. My heart was pounding and I was breathing harder than when we had ascended the mountain. John kept telling me to stop and rest, but I was afraid to stop. I was completely focused on the task at hand and I would not allow myself to be distracted. John repeatedly asked me to stop and rest but I was frustrated by my slow progress. I told John that we could make faster progress if he would simply drag me by my hair.

Finally John insisted that I stop and drink some tea, which I did. As soon as the tea touched my lips I knew it was a good decision, and it provided me valuable energy for the remainder of the decent. I tried to lock my legs in one position and dangle my gimpy arm below me but if you have ever skied tight trees you know maintaining one position is next to impossible. Every move was excruciatingly painful, but the thought of getting to the hospital and having my shoulder put back in place kept me focused and moving.

When we ran out of snow and were forced to walk, I had to develop a new technique. Walking was far more difficult and slower than backcountry skiing. I could only make small side steps using my pole as a crutch. There were times when we had to cross small sections of snow, and when my feet would break through the surface of the snow. The pain was nearly unbearable. I didn’t have the strength to catch myself from falling so I had to put an arm over John’s shoulder when the snow would not support my weight. Stepping over fallen trees seemed like an insurmountable task so I would again rely on John to lift me over each log. After two hours we had made it to the river, but there was no way I was going to attempt to cross the log that had already bucked me off during the morning trek. Again, I put an arm over John’s shoulder and we slowly walked into the water. The rushing water pulled on my legs and the pain was immeasurable. Taking very small steps John drug me through the river. Then it was just a matter of ascending an old road cut to the paved road before John could put me in his truck and take me to the hospital.

Thankfully the emergency room staff at the Aspen Valley Hospital is well trained and they immediately began to access my injuries. I had sustained a great deal of trauma but amazingly I had no internal injuries and no broken bones. I was released from the hospital and John took me home, deposited me on the couch and began to fill bags with ice to apply to each of my damaged appendages. Ironically I was soon buried in ice again to reduce the swelling from the damage caused by sliding snow and ice.

Deborah arrived home soon after John left and I gave her a stripped down version of the day’s events. Needless to say she was relieved that I had survived, but she also wanted to know what I had learned from the experience. She did not intend to be patronizing, after all, she knew whom she was getting involved with long before we were married. She wanted to know what I had “learned.”

I thought for a few seconds and said, “If you fall in the creek within 500 yards of the car, it is an omen. Turn around and go home.”

“Okay’, she said, “What else?”

This time I thought in silence for a while before I spoke. “It will be impossible for me to remove this experience from my memory. It would be ridiculous for me to believe that I could enter the backcountry without some level of apprehension. This incident has been etched on my cortex for eternity and it will make me much more cautious in the future. When I dig a pit from this point forward I will always set a snow anchor and use a rope to repel to a position before digging a snowpit. If I had been anchored, I would have been held in place as the snow slide away.”

Deborah looked into my eyes and said, “Did you think about your family?”

This time I didn’t need time to think before I spoke. “My first thought when I was pulled under the snow by the avalanche was of my family. When I was tumbling under the snow I thought about you and the kids. When I was lying under the snow and realized I was stuck but I had plenty of air to breath, I knew I would somehow get out of the snow and get off the mountain. I never allowed any doubt to enter my mind. My children have always been the most rewarding and cherished part of my life and I have no intention of missing their upbringing. I realized that I have a huge responsibility to my family, and my family must come before my ambitions to backcountry ski and snowboard big mountain peaks. I can not tell you that I will stop backcountry skiing, but this experience has and will continue to change me, and it will change the way I approach the mountains.”

Tears of joy, sadness, worry and fright filled Deb’s eyes. “Thank you” was all she said.

( guest blogger Billy Madsen is the Director of Operations for the world’s largest recreational ski racing program, NASTAR. He has appeared in five Warren Miller movies and was a stunt skier in the feature film, “Aspen Extreme”. Bill raced for the University of Colorado and the US Junior Worlds Team. This event happened in 2004, and we first published this story back then.)


Please Enjoy A Few Suggested WildSnow Posts


25 Responses to “An Avalanche Story – Hayden Peak, Colorado”

  1. Greg I September 14th, 2011 12:49 pm

    Powerful story. Thanks for sharing this again.

  2. bert holmes September 14th, 2011 1:50 pm


    you wanna go on our hut trip in early jan? i could use someone who can carry me if need be.

    love to hear about a happy ending.

  3. Mike Marolt September 14th, 2011 3:25 pm

    The bit about being apprehensive on return struck me. I got caught in a huge ripper in AK about 15 years ago (have never really brought that up outside of with Steve who was there) and it changed everything from the way i cross the street and drive to the way i ride a bike, and hell yes, the way i approach the mountains. I will never forget and really don’t want to. But for the s* i take about being “too conservative” in the ski mountaineering community, that’s why. We made a serious mistake, but regardless the worst thing can happen.

    Glad you are still with us Billy. Great story, and on another note, great writing.


  4. Eric September 14th, 2011 6:36 pm

    Powerful, well written story with an exceptional lesson. Dig a few more of these buried stories out of the archives.

  5. Scott Nelson September 14th, 2011 7:08 pm

    Thanks for sharing your experience. Definitely reminded me of a few critical things to keep in mind while out there. Number one being having a good partner.

    I have to say I loathe that log crossing, yeah it adds some spice, but it sure would be nice to have some sort of rudimentary bridge there, like two trees and a few planks. My guess is that has been thought of long ago but for some reason hasn’t happened.

  6. Glenn September 14th, 2011 7:52 pm

    Wow! Thanks for digging this out and posting Lou. It pays to keep separated when in the back country. Thanks for this true story. I just don’t see how you can have enough experience when this happens to a couple of pros.

  7. John Gloor September 14th, 2011 8:52 pm

    Lou, thanks for posting this again. I had initially wanted to keep this story under the radar in 2004, since it was a large mess up, and a kind of embarrassment. I hope others can learn from our mistakes though. We did not have a rope for one person to be belayed on, and we exposed both of ourselves on the same slope. Usually by the end of April, our Colorado snowpack is pretty stable. In 2004, it was still a winter snowpack in the lower layers. One thing Bill did not mention was my ski cuts. I did two zig zags of about 20 meters each between safe points while jumping pretty hard on the snow. I am about 225-230 lbs without gear, and when nothing budged, I was almost tempted to ski the slope. In a normal season, the fresh snow would be on a bomber melt/freeze base, and only the top new layer would be of concern, and it was not moving. We had checked CAIC the day before, and new of the deep instabilities, so we decided to dig a pit. I have skied that face probably ten times through the years, and always in the spring in pretty safe conditions. That time was the only time I have dug a pit on the Stammberger face, and I am so glad I did. If anyone had been mid slope when it slid, they would have been pulverized. I got to watch the whole slope move and break up once I stopped sliding, and the power of the slide was pretty much inconceivable to me. I never saw Bill at any point as my back was to him when it started, and he was quickly under the snow.

    This incident has pretty much changed how I ski in the back country. It is very rare for me to be in the middle of any bowl in powder conditions now unless it is very low angle. Instead of boldly thinking I might get away with skiing a face, now I envision what a slide would do and am much more cautious. I like skiing right next to the trees, with speed so I can cut out.

    We were very lucky. We both could have been caught. we could have had a deep burial, or more traumatic injuries. We really lucked out having an audial locate instead of using a beacon. My beacon at the time was an analog Pieps 457, which I was slower with than I am with today’s beacons, and the debris field was huge.

    This is kind of a rambling response in reading it. This slide made me a lot more humble and cautious, but I still like to get out there, hopefully on the safe side of the line.

  8. Lou September 15th, 2011 5:25 am

    Thanks Gloor, no need for even a shred of embarrassment, you should be happy you can share and help other folks, sounds like you feel that way. The article was always available on search and actually got quite a few hits over the years. I’ve got a backlog of stuff like this from before WildSnow became a blog, and it’s a hassle maintaining it, so I’m gradually converting most of it to blog posts and pages. More than 200 items and each one requires hand work, so it goes slow. Lou

  9. Lou September 15th, 2011 5:28 am

    Scott, I actually built a bridge there, about 30 years ago (grin). Remnants of it could be seen up to just a couple years ago. It was just a 2×12 with a a handrail. Lasted quite a few years. Back in the day when one could do that sort of thing. Now they’d probably tear it out. Lou

  10. Pete Anzalone September 15th, 2011 7:03 am

    Yes, that creek crossing can be treacherous! A few years ago in May Perl and I and a fellow named Pete headed out to ski the Hayden Corn Tour (hitting the south faces of the three Haydens).

    The log was glazed with ice that morning and while Perl & I somehow made it across, Pete slipped and ended up in the drink. No real harm other than be completely soaked to the skin at 5am from 30 degree water. The look of chagrin on Pete’s face was unforgettable as he stood there belly-button deep in Castle Creek.

    Pete hauled himself to the shore, stripped naked, wrung the water out of everything from his hat to his boot liners, got dressed and went skiing. What the heck else are you going to do at 5am? Plus there was great skiing to be had and beers in the truck at the Cathedral Lake parking lot.

    A memorable day that occurred a day or two after Billy’s slide (I have an amazing picture of the debris field taken from near the lunch spot – at the time we had no knowledge of the slide’s details as recorded above).

  11. john doyle September 15th, 2011 7:37 am

    Billy and John; thanks for sharing a story that not everyone would. So glad you’re still here with us.

  12. Lou September 15th, 2011 9:21 am

    Everyone, please note new anti-spam challenge question. Too much spam getting through so I had to change. It’s just the final step in about 6 things that attempt to block comment spam, so no need for it to be too weird or hard, so let me know if it’s ok. Thanks, Lou

  13. TW September 15th, 2011 2:38 pm

    I’m glad to hear that I’m not the only one to tak a bath at 5am…

  14. Kim Kircher September 16th, 2011 12:50 pm

    Great and powerful story. Thanks for sharing it. One question: were you wearing a transceiver?

  15. John Gloor September 16th, 2011 1:05 pm

    Kim, we both had transceivers. Hearing my partner’s muffled yell was far faster than any beacon search could have been though

  16. jim flynn October 9th, 2011 12:47 pm

    Great story and a happy ending.
    I would have thought that a take away was to NEVER ski with the pole straps.

  17. Bill Madsen October 12th, 2011 2:33 pm

    Lou, thanks for re-posting the story. It is interesting for me to read the story again now that a number of years have passed. My palms started to sweat and the thoughts of being flash frozen and stuck are more real today than when it happen. At the time I simply would not admit that backcountry skiing, the thing I love most, almost took me out of the game. As the years have crept past the reality of that day has occupied a larger space in my head. Fortunately the majority of my physical injuries have healed, but the gray matter between my ears has a scar that will never be erased. When I hear the low pitched, distinctive sound that every backcountry skier dreads, WHUMP, the sensations from that memorable day return. My heart rate elevates, my hair stands on end and my head spins around looking for movement.

    But, skiing untracked snow is still the greatest sensation I have ever experienced. Moving fast through waist deep snow is incomparable, so I continue to return to the one that gave me my worst beating ever. I am drawn to the sound that is made with every turn, and ironically or maybe not, the noise made skiing great powder is very similar to the sound made when snow settles: WHUMP.

    We are all products of our experiences and I have more experience now than I did in 2004. However, if you look at the history of experienced mountaineers there is a common theme among them. Many of the very best, most experienced mountain people did not live to be old mountain people. Experienced mountain people spend the most time is risky terrain and things can go wrong. So, I spend less time in risky areas and ski more low angel terrain.

  18. Lou October 12th, 2011 2:42 pm

    Hi Bill, thanks for dropping by. Your story is a terrific “de-brief” and we’ve all benefited immensely from it. I’lll bet you even saved a few lives by sharing your trial. I didn’t really re-post it, I just relocated it from my older pages.

  19. Billy Madsen May 14th, 2014 3:01 pm

    For me, it is important to revisit the scene each spring. I guess I need to give thanks, reflect and hopefully ski some great snow.
    Over the years I’ve thought more and more about pole straps. Jim Flynn’s comment about never wearing pole straps is good advice. However, I really like pole straps for climbing uphill and I like skiing with straps. I would like to see all back country pole manufactures make break-away pole straps so that ski poles would release in an accident just as bindings release.

  20. Lou Dawson May 14th, 2014 3:35 pm

    Good point about the break-away straps!

  21. See May 15th, 2014 12:32 am

    It’s strange how rare this very useful feature is. Avalanches aside, I have snagged a basket numerous times and credit break away straps with preventing a fall if not an injury. The strap on the Life Link Alpine Extreme pole (discontinued) is simple, durable and easy to reattach. I’ve never had one pre-release or fail to let go when required. Aside from an old set of Chounard Equipment poles that broke, I can’t recall any other poles with break away straps.

  22. See May 15th, 2014 12:39 am

    Make that “Chouinard.”

  23. Lou Dawson May 15th, 2014 5:10 am

    I’ve got a pair of new poles here with breakaway straps, if they work ok I’ll review. Stay tuned.

  24. Billy Madsen May 15th, 2014 11:37 am


  25. Adam Kenny November 11th, 2015 9:08 am

    I stumbled upon this piece while looking this morning on-line for a current address for my old college friend (and one-time housemate) John Gloor. While I do not know Bill, his recitation of the manner in which he and John kept their heads about them when the failure to do so might have dearly cost either of them does not surprise me. Even when we were wet-behind-the-ears college kids, John’s ability to bring calm to circumstances in which it might not be expected never ceased to amaze me.

    I am very happy that both of you are here to tell your story and to share what you learned from your experience.


  Your Comments

  Recent Posts

Facebook Twitter Email Instagram Youtube

WildSnow Twitter Feed


  • Blogroll & Links

  • Welcome to Louis (Lou) Dawson's backcountry skiing information & opinion website. Lou's passion for the past 50 years has been alpinism, climbing, mountaineering and skiing -- along with all manner of outdoor recreation. He has authored numerous books and articles about ski touring and is well known as the first person to ski down all 54 of Colorado's 14,000-foot peaks, otherwise known as the Fourteeners! Books and free ski touring news and information here.

    All material on this website is copyrighted, the name WildSnow is trademarked, permission required for reproduction (electronic or otherwise) and display on other websites. PLEASE SEE OUR COPYRIGHT and TRADEMARK INFORMATION.

    We include "affiliate sales" links with most of our blog posts. This means we receive a percentage of a sale if you click over from our site (at no cost to you). None of our affiliate commission links are direct relationships with specific gear companies or shopping carts, instead we remain removed by using a third party who manages all our affiliate sales and relationships. We also sell display "banner" advertising, in this case our relationships are closer to the companies who advertise, but our display advertising income is carefully separated financially and editorially from our blog content, over which we always maintain 100% editorial control -- we make this clear during every advertising deal we work out. Please also notice we do the occasional "sponsored" post, these are under similar financial arrangements as our banner advertising, only the banner or other type of reference to a company are included in the blog post, simply to show they provided financial support to and provide them with advertising in return. Unlike most other "sponsored content" you find on the internet, our sponsored posts are entirely under our editorial control and created by WildSnow specific writers.See our full disclosures here.

    Backcountry skiing is dangerous. You may be killed or severely injured if you do any form of ski mountaineering, skimo randonnee and randonnée skiing. The information and news on this website is intended only as general information. Due to human error and passing time, the information, text and images contained within this website may be inaccurate, false, or out-of-date. By using, reading or viewing the information provided on this website, you agree to absolve the owners of Wild Snow as well as content contributors of any liability for injuries or losses incurred while using such information. Furthermore, you agree to use any of this website's information, maps, photos, or binding mounting instructions templates at your own risk, and waive Wild Snow owners and contributors of liability for use of said items for ski touring or any other use.

    Switch To Mobile Version