Crested Butte Mountain (ski) Resort, Colorado. They’re attempting to make a forward thinking policy for uphilling as part of their business plan. Below is ALL ON THE TABLE at this point. I’m re-printing this announcement email so anyone with interest can show up in person for discussion, or perhaps leave comments here on WildSnow that CBMR resort officials are sure to see.
Official announcement from CBMR follows, lightly edited for clarity:
Calling all Uphillers! CBMR is in the process of revising the current Uphill Use Policy and would like to get your input and comments.
Please stop by Trackers (at the Mt Square Conference Center) from 8:00 am to 9:30 am next week, Wednesday December 12th, Thursday Dec. 13th or Friday December 14th to meet and discuss uphilling (Uphill Use) policy with CBMR representatives.
As Uphill Use continues to grow within the skiing industry and with increasing popularity here in Crested Butte, CBMR is proposing changes to our current policy to enhance the experience and product for future Uphill Use.
Goal: Formalize Uphill Use as an additional amenity offered by CBMR within a maintained and controlled environment.
Objectives: Broaden current customer base by offering a variety of convenient routes and equipment to encourage increased uphill use. Enhance the Uphill Use experience with a variety of products and services to promote the activity. Promote education, skier safety and knowledge of risks associated with Uphill Use within the ski area boundary.
New Concepts for 2013:
– Create a dedicated route for daytime use up to Ten Peaks via Columbine Hill.
– Designate specific routes for Uphill traffic with dogs to avoid incidents.
– All CBMR season passes will include a 2013 Uphill Use pass. Non CBMR pass holders will be charged a small fee for Uphill Use on the Main Mountain.
– All Uphill Use of the Snodgrass Mountain road is free.
– Promote additional activities such as Full Moon ski parties and other social events.
– Discuss the development of future Uphill/Backcountry trails on Snodgrass Mountain and Main Mountain.
Ethan Mueller Vice President/General Manager Crested Butte Mountain Resort
Remember the above are PROPOSED policies, up for discussion. So make your voice heard!