Post by WildSnow.com blogger Lisa Dawson | January 10, 2007
Louie and I sit here at home, homesick for Lou. It’s a great condolence to log on each morning and enjoy his posts from Europe. While he’s away, we’re snug in the middle of another Colorado winter. Even though snow conditions are variable and we miss Lou, how can we not savor this time? The weekends are filled with skiing and touring, and during the week, when I do the white knuckle drive to work on Killer 82, even then I am lulled by the lovely hills and pastures along the way.
When comrades at the office groan about the cold, I hear echoes from home, cheering the season and praying, always praying for a snow day. Snow, that beautiful nuisance in the driveway, becomes glorious when we ski. How blessed I am to live here and be in a family that embraces life in these mountains.
As a thought for the day, I leave you my favorite prayer which dates back to the 1800’s. “Thou hast given so much to me. Give me one thing more, a thankful heart.”
Tags: backcountry skiing, Europe, Lisa Dawson,
- See: Hi Skimo. I’m curious about your experience with tech bindings inbounds. Si...
- SkimoSky: Since I graduated in exercise science I'm looking forward to geeking out on...
- Ryan: The lightest clean nose biner I know of is the DMM chimera at 28 but it's a...
- Louie III: Hmm, interesting ideas. Cool to see everyone's solutions. I also conside...
- Andrew: Why not use something along the lines of an S double gated crab with one lo...
- Chris Auld: Here's my config. Two rappel rings on the waist strap and a biner on the cr...
- justin: Funny, I've been trying to find someone to sew something similar on my Floa...
- Ed: I can second the Petzl Ange S cause it doesn't have the lip to snag when ta...
- Lou Dawson 2: Louie, I totally agree, if the waist buckle comes undone on the Arcteryx yo...
- Lou Dawson 2: Emily, a boot fitter can cut a small slot in the top of the tongue to relax...
- Louie Dawson: Yeah, I'm using a BD hood wire, which keeps snagging to a minimum. Unfortun...
- wyomingowen: ..been doing the carabiner the last 3 years on an ABS, it's great except wh...
- Dale: Lou: any info on the Plum heel adjuster track as seen in that photo?...
- emily sullivan: Eric- thanks for the info! I was at my ski shop this morning the Celeste I...
- Lou Dawson 2: No problem with the 'biner, but the buckle!? I kinda like the buckle, actua...
- Brian: The elder Dawson would never approve of adding a heavy ass carabiner to you...
- Jason Killgore: For a locker, you might try an edelrid slider. Fast, easy, small but still ...
- ted: Lukas- Can you please tell us something about the fit of this boot? Narro...
- See: The “open tongue construction” probably requires a stiffer sole to make a p...
- swissiphic: @Wookie: lol! Indeed shoe goo to the rescue!!!! but...that might push th...
- Lou Dawson 2: Sebastian sent over some Polish versions of the text, I'll get those up soo...
- Lou Dawson 2: Thanks Kuba! This is WildSnow at its best, due to you guys chiming in! I...
- Lou Dawson 2: I have to believe they got the bugs worked out of the Cosmos by now! Good t...
- Lou Dawson 2: Apparently the Mythic is a real winner. Thanks for adding to the kudos Neil...
- Lou Dawson 2: Wookie, yeah, but doesn't Lukaz mostly do skimo racing and training? If so,...
- neil tilley: emily , i am 5'6" and find the 171cm just perfect , they do feel at least 5...
- Lou Dawson 2: Koflach Valuga, probably the heaviest ski touring boot ever made! Truly, am...
- atfred: Hi Emily, I am 5' 11", 160 lbs and have been skiing the cham 97 HM ("hig...
- Eric: I went with the cosmos II this year. No problems with the ski/walk mechani...
- Kuba: Hi, Lou@ thank you very much for this article! Witold@ - I suppose that...
- Avalanche Airbag Waistbelt Mods
- A Weekend Of Weather Contrasts In The PNW
- WildSnow Browsing Security & Safety
- Anti-Communist Binding — Polish Ingenuity Keeps Shipyard Workers Skiing
- Feel The Fear — Colorado Persistent Avalanche Slabs
- Backcountry Access Float 32 Avalanche Airbag Pack
- Webserver Explosion
- A Walk Around ISPO Munich
- What’s New at Contour Skins?
- G3 Via Carbon Ski Poles — Review
- State of the Snow Leopard — Dynafit
- Como Se Dice, ‘Ski?’
- Black Diamond Helio 105 Ski — Quiver Arrow Of The Week
- Magical Day In The Uintas — G3 Empire, SCARPA Women’s Freedom SL
- Checking Out the Austrian Rooster Comb
- It’s Only A Test — G3 FINDr and SCARPA F1
- New from G3 and SCARPA 2016/2017
- In Austria, What Goes Up Goes Down
- Aaron Diamond
- AJ Smollen
- Alex Lee
- Amy Helm
- Anton Sponar
- Bob Perlmutter
- Caleb Wray
- Candace Horgan
- Cathy Odowd
- Christian Skalka
- Clyde Soles
- Craig Dostie
- Dave Downing
- Doug Stenclik
- Frank Konsella
- Guest Blogger
- Jessica Downing
- Jessica Portmess
- Joe Risi
- Jonathan Cooper
- Jonathan Shefftz
- Jordan White
- Lee Lau
- Leon Sendmuller
- Lisa Dawson
- Lou Dawson
- Louie Dawson
- Marcus Peterson
- Mark Worley
- Matt Kinney
- Mike Marolt
- Nick Thompson
- Paul Parker
- Penn Newhard
- Peter Kelley
- Rachel Bellamy
- Rob Mullins
- Scott Nelson
- Steve Romeo
- Sweetgrass Productions
- TheEditors OfWildsnow
- Tom Dawson
- Tyler Christoff
- WildSnow Girl
WildSnow Twitter Feed
Yearly and Monthly Archives