Post by WildSnow.com blogger Lou Dawson | September 30, 2006
Silvretta 404 ski touring binding is one of the true classics. A couple of people have asked me for mounting instructions as this binding is still a viable climber’s approach binding, though we don’t recommend any vintage or antique binding for backcountry skiing as none have as good a safety release as modern grabbers.
Inspired by the interest out there, we added the 404 to the virtual binding museum, and whipped up some mounting instructions and a template. (As always, no warranty on templates or mounting instructions, you use at your own risk.)
Tags: backcountry skiing, Binding Reviews, safety, Silvretta,
Guest Blog – Colorado, Montezuma Basin Backcountry Skiing Report »
- Jeremy C: Hello Lou, Something changed yesterday (probably related to the mobile s...
- Mark Mace: Lou, went well with the templates per your instructions today. the shop did...
- See: How about cultural appropriation of indigenous people’s art in ski graphics...
- etto: I think the lightest locking biner with keylock or similar is: Wild Country...
- Witold: @ Kuba – thanks for not complaining about my bindings too much. I left Pol...
- Lou Dawson 2: Well, now that we've taken an airbag post all the way to race and ethnicity...
- See: And Jo: I’m not black, but I do ski with African Americans from time to tim...
- Lou Dawson 2: See, I totally agree. Lou...
- See: On one level, I was just stating a fact— there is a lack of diversity, as y...
- Lou Dawson 2: See, I'd agree, but I think the most important thing in these discussions i...
- See: The lack of diversity that characterizes many forms of outdoor recreation l...
- Jeremy C: An alternative method is to wear a lightweight touring harness, such as the...
- Nick: Chris you are three way loading that karibiner - and the waistbelt loop ...
- Lou 2: Interesting comment Jo, it is well known that especially in the US skiing i...
- Lou 2: Mark, I'll email you. Since you are nearby you should stop by my studio an...
- See: Go skiing. I suspect your culture will be fine with that. Why do you think ...
- Jo Ramsey: I really want to try these type of activites but I am African American and ...
- RobinB: Something like the CRUX plate listed on this page might be a good option if...
- Mark Mace: Thanks, Lou , this will make it a snap. Mark Mace....
- See: Hi Skimo. I’m curious about your experience with tech bindings inbounds. Si...
- SkimoSky: Since I graduated in exercise science I'm looking forward to geeking out on...
- Ryan: The lightest clean nose biner I know of is the DMM chimera at 28 but it's a...
- Louie III: Hmm, interesting ideas. Cool to see everyone's solutions. I also conside...
- Andrew: Why not use something along the lines of an S double gated crab with one lo...
- Chris Auld: Here's my config. Two rappel rings on the waist strap and a biner on the cr...
- justin: Funny, I've been trying to find someone to sew something similar on my Floa...
- Ed: I can second the Petzl Ange S cause it doesn't have the lip to snag when ta...
- Lou Dawson 2: Louie, I totally agree, if the waist buckle comes undone on the Arcteryx yo...
- Lou Dawson 2: Emily, a boot fitter can cut a small slot in the top of the tongue to relax...
- Louie Dawson: Yeah, I'm using a BD hood wire, which keeps snagging to a minimum. Unfortun...
- Avalanche Airbag Waistbelt Mods
- A Weekend Of Weather Contrasts In The PNW
- WildSnow Browsing Security & Safety
- Anti-Communist Binding — Polish Ingenuity Keeps Shipyard Workers Skiing
- Feel The Fear — Colorado Persistent Avalanche Slabs
- Backcountry Access Float 32 Avalanche Airbag Pack
- Webserver Explosion
- A Walk Around ISPO Munich
- What’s New at Contour Skins?
- G3 Via Carbon Ski Poles — Review
- State of the Snow Leopard — Dynafit
- Como Se Dice, ‘Ski?’
- Black Diamond Helio 105 Ski — Quiver Arrow Of The Week
- Magical Day In The Uintas — G3 Empire, SCARPA Women’s Freedom SL
- Checking Out the Austrian Rooster Comb
- It’s Only A Test — G3 FINDr and SCARPA F1
- New from G3 and SCARPA 2016/2017
- In Austria, What Goes Up Goes Down
- Aaron Diamond
- AJ Smollen
- Alex Lee
- Amy Helm
- Anton Sponar
- Bob Perlmutter
- Caleb Wray
- Candace Horgan
- Cathy Odowd
- Christian Skalka
- Clyde Soles
- Craig Dostie
- Dave Downing
- Doug Stenclik
- Frank Konsella
- Guest Blogger
- Jessica Downing
- Jessica Portmess
- Joe Risi
- Jonathan Cooper
- Jonathan Shefftz
- Jordan White
- Lee Lau
- Leon Sendmuller
- Lisa Dawson
- Lou Dawson
- Louie Dawson
- Marcus Peterson
- Mark Worley
- Matt Kinney
- Mike Marolt
- Nick Thompson
- Paul Parker
- Penn Newhard
- Peter Kelley
- Rachel Bellamy
- Rob Mullins
- Scott Nelson
- Steve Romeo
- Sweetgrass Productions
- TheEditors OfWildsnow
- Tom Dawson
- Tyler Christoff
- WildSnow Girl
only Snowcat skiing in Midwest mlive.com/business/west-…
Avalanche Airbag Waistbelt Mods - THE Backcountry Skiing Blog wildsnow.com/19524/avalanch…
Aspen, where every chairlift ride is an adventure. aspendailynews.com/section/home/1…
Sobering facts re climate. news.nationalgeographic.com/energy/2016/02…
WildSnow Twitter Feed
Yearly and Monthly Archives