Last summer I wrote about my little teardrop camper trailer project. Of course the project took longer than expected, and it’ll never be done. Recently I finished it enough to be usable (and enough that it warranted another blog post). Everything from this point on is just the final, mostly cosmetic touches.
A lot has happened since the last update. Last summer I had the foam structure finished, check out the first and second post for more details. Since then, I finished the exterior PMF coating, built basic interior furniture (bed and table), and installed a heater. I also made incremental improvements to various parts. I improved the drop floor by reinforcing it with another layer of plywood, and switching to steel cable for the windlass lowering/raising system (from the old nylon rope).
At the top of the list now is installing a ceiling vent, some wood trim inside, and storage under the kitchen counter. Farther in the future will be electricity, improved suspension/tires for off-roading, and a sweet exterior paint job (I’m open to suggestions).
Overall I’m happy with how the teardrop turned out. It’s nice and small, but just big enough. It’s light enough that towing only results in a drop of 1-2mpg; inconsequential for anything but driving to Tierra del Fuego and back. It’s almost unnoticeable while accelerating or braking — you have to be careful to drive like you’re towing (drifting corners is out), as you forget it’s there. I didn’t have the chance to use it much this ski season, but hopefully you’ll see it around the PNW parking lots next winter!
Here’s some pictures of the final product, as well as few from the build process.
Let me know what you think!