Post by WildSnow.com blogger Lou Dawson | March 22, 2006
I got curious. How exactly is a Dynafit toe fitting held in a boot, how easy is it to remove, and how much does it weigh? On the alter of blog I sacrifice a worn out pair of Scarpa Laser backcountry skiing boots:
|The Dynafit toe fittings are easy to remove. Just grind the sole off, grind away a bit of plastic around the edges, and the fitting pops out when you pry it up.|
|Dynafit fittings removed from boot. Weight 1.1 ounces (32 g) total, per boot. (Coin for scale).|
People have had mixed success with installing Dynafit fittings themselves. In mine and many other people’s opinion, there are so many great Dynafit compatible boots out there, why spend the time to make them yourself? But then, who am I to judge other backcountry skiing modders? If you’re curious, here is the article written by one guy who did it.
Tags: backcountry skiing, Boot Reviews, Dynafit, Gear Mods, Laser, lightweight gear,
- Mark Mace: Lou, went well with the templates per your instructions today. the shop did...
- See: How about cultural appropriation of indigenous people’s art in ski graphics...
- etto: I think the lightest locking biner with keylock or similar is: Wild Country...
- Witold: @ Kuba – thanks for not complaining about my bindings too much. I left Pol...
- Lou Dawson 2: Well, now that we've taken an airbag post all the way to race and ethnicity...
- See: And Jo: I’m not black, but I do ski with African Americans from time to tim...
- Lou Dawson 2: See, I totally agree. Lou...
- See: On one level, I was just stating a fact— there is a lack of diversity, as y...
- Lou Dawson 2: See, I'd agree, but I think the most important thing in these discussions i...
- See: The lack of diversity that characterizes many forms of outdoor recreation l...
- Jeremy C: An alternative method is to wear a lightweight touring harness, such as the...
- Nick: Chris you are three way loading that karibiner - and the waistbelt loop ...
- Lou 2: Interesting comment Jo, it is well known that especially in the US skiing i...
- Lou 2: Mark, I'll email you. Since you are nearby you should stop by my studio an...
- See: Go skiing. I suspect your culture will be fine with that. Why do you think ...
- Jo Ramsey: I really want to try these type of activites but I am African American and ...
- RobinB: Something like the CRUX plate listed on this page might be a good option if...
- Mark Mace: Thanks, Lou , this will make it a snap. Mark Mace....
- See: Hi Skimo. I’m curious about your experience with tech bindings inbounds. Si...
- SkimoSky: Since I graduated in exercise science I'm looking forward to geeking out on...
- Ryan: The lightest clean nose biner I know of is the DMM chimera at 28 but it's a...
- Louie III: Hmm, interesting ideas. Cool to see everyone's solutions. I also conside...
- Andrew: Why not use something along the lines of an S double gated crab with one lo...
- Chris Auld: Here's my config. Two rappel rings on the waist strap and a biner on the cr...
- justin: Funny, I've been trying to find someone to sew something similar on my Floa...
- Ed: I can second the Petzl Ange S cause it doesn't have the lip to snag when ta...
- Lou Dawson 2: Louie, I totally agree, if the waist buckle comes undone on the Arcteryx yo...
- Lou Dawson 2: Emily, a boot fitter can cut a small slot in the top of the tongue to relax...
- Louie Dawson: Yeah, I'm using a BD hood wire, which keeps snagging to a minimum. Unfortun...
- wyomingowen: ..been doing the carabiner the last 3 years on an ABS, it's great except wh...
- Avalanche Airbag Waistbelt Mods
- A Weekend Of Weather Contrasts In The PNW
- WildSnow Browsing Security & Safety
- Anti-Communist Binding — Polish Ingenuity Keeps Shipyard Workers Skiing
- Feel The Fear — Colorado Persistent Avalanche Slabs
- Backcountry Access Float 32 Avalanche Airbag Pack
- Webserver Explosion
- A Walk Around ISPO Munich
- What’s New at Contour Skins?
- G3 Via Carbon Ski Poles — Review
- State of the Snow Leopard — Dynafit
- Como Se Dice, ‘Ski?’
- Black Diamond Helio 105 Ski — Quiver Arrow Of The Week
- Magical Day In The Uintas — G3 Empire, SCARPA Women’s Freedom SL
- Checking Out the Austrian Rooster Comb
- It’s Only A Test — G3 FINDr and SCARPA F1
- New from G3 and SCARPA 2016/2017
- In Austria, What Goes Up Goes Down
- Aaron Diamond
- AJ Smollen
- Alex Lee
- Amy Helm
- Anton Sponar
- Bob Perlmutter
- Caleb Wray
- Candace Horgan
- Cathy Odowd
- Christian Skalka
- Clyde Soles
- Craig Dostie
- Dave Downing
- Doug Stenclik
- Frank Konsella
- Guest Blogger
- Jessica Downing
- Jessica Portmess
- Joe Risi
- Jonathan Cooper
- Jonathan Shefftz
- Jordan White
- Lee Lau
- Leon Sendmuller
- Lisa Dawson
- Lou Dawson
- Louie Dawson
- Marcus Peterson
- Mark Worley
- Matt Kinney
- Mike Marolt
- Nick Thompson
- Paul Parker
- Penn Newhard
- Peter Kelley
- Rachel Bellamy
- Rob Mullins
- Scott Nelson
- Steve Romeo
- Sweetgrass Productions
- TheEditors OfWildsnow
- Tom Dawson
- Tyler Christoff
- WildSnow Girl
only Snowcat skiing in Midwest mlive.com/business/west-…
Avalanche Airbag Waistbelt Mods - THE Backcountry Skiing Blog wildsnow.com/19524/avalanch…
Aspen, where every chairlift ride is an adventure. aspendailynews.com/section/home/1…
Sobering facts re climate. news.nationalgeographic.com/energy/2016/02…
WildSnow Twitter Feed
Yearly and Monthly Archives