Thanks to Ortovox for sponsoring this avalanche education content. Check out the additional plethora of avalanche safety resources on their website.
At the Colorado Snow Avalanche Workshop today in alpine town of Leadville. Interesting topics, such as how to helicopter throw 550 lbs of high explosives in legal Wilderness. (Hint, they might not allow mountain bikes but pave a dam with asphalt for Denver water and the world is your oyster.) But most interesting of all, a public Jetforce airbag presentation by Nathan Kuder of Black Diamond. We’ll have more details in a few days (WildSnow exclusive!), but figured a teaser from what BD went public with at CSAW would keep your interest up.
A few other tidbits from Nathan’s presentation:
– System is tested to hundreds of inflations. Our take: have fun testing.
– Battery can do up to 6 inflations at room temp, might just do one in extreme cold.
– Butterfly valve in housing is the key feature allowing the deflation cycle.
– The first compressed gas avy airbags came available about 28 years ago. Time for a change?
– Battery is nearly same thing as laptop computer battery, so traveling shouldn’t be a problem.
– Three square feet of filtered air input, some screened by the same stuff used for snowmobile pre-filter.
Look for our extensive coverage later next week. For now, rest assured, Black Diamond has it going on with this. Only bummer is fall 2014 retail seems a long way off!