G3 and SCARPA invited me to try their new skis and boots during a day of snowcat skiing on natural snow near Park City, Utah. The area has been getting pounded by precip this year — we enjoyed marvelous conditions.
I tested SCARPA Maestrale RS boots and G3 SENDr skis. We used the same kit all day; I thus got a good feel for the skis and boots. That being said, it’s tough to thoroughly evaluate anything in only one day. So we’ll be doing a long term test of both skis and boots throughout this winter. For this post I’ll focus on the new boots from SCARPA. Tomorrow I’ll cover the G3 skis.
Report from Outdoor Retailer: La Sportiva will boast new or substantially versioned boot models beginning fall 2017. Synchro is a stiffer “125 flex” iteration of venerable Spectre (will continue), with the intriguing 2 piece tongue release system pictured below. Women’s version is the Shadow. On the lightweight ski touring side, their new Sideral 2.1 (women’s Starlet 2.1), Raceborg and Sytron continue the evolution of Sportiva’s flagship 2-buckle offerings. Improved buckles and various changes in shell thickness are said to make all their boots ski better while giving you uphill performance.
Snynchro claimed weight in 27.5 is 1550 grams. Excellent for the freeride touring category. (We see no reason why with modern materials and engineering there really need be any ski touring boot heavier than about one kilo per foot, and we expect to see the freeride offerings continue to lose mass as carbon and other composite wizardry is used ever more wisely).
Another newish is an upgraded Spitfire model, their “crossover” boot that works for ski mountaineering racing or general uber-light touring. An external one-motion lean lock mode changer continues as the Spitfire claim to fame, along with Trab TR2 binding compatibility. Nice boot. We’d like to see _all_ Sportiva boots use external lean locks. 2019?
Day two at Outdoor Retailer Winter Market showed us lots of new or updated lines from the clothing side of many of the brands that make ski touring apparel. Here is just a small touch of what is in store for winter 2018.
I appreciate that Patagonia is not only attempting to make the best products for outdoor ventures, but that they are constantly trying to do it with less waste and negative impact on the environment.
New for next winter, Patagonia has redesigned their killer Pow Slayer kit so that the face fabric is made from 100% recycled materials with GORE-TEX Pro still built in to keep you uber dry. They also went through and streamlined the folds, seams, and pockets to reduce the amount of material going into the product and allow general efficiency in the folds being used. Lucky for us, this means that the product is now around 30% lighter weight. Expect to see the rest of the ski kits to be 40-70% recycled face fabric.OLDER POSTS »